My Toughest Hike



My Toughest Hike


Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling, outdoor


In college, I took classes to become an Earth Science teacher. Some of these classes required me to go on field trips where I had to hike. One of these field trips included hiking up a mountain that was 3,352 feet high. The name of this mountain is Ampersand Mountain. Before this hike, I had never climbed a mountain that was this tall. I was extremely nervous and scared to climb this mountain. The hike started at 10 am. I was with 12 other geology students and my professor on this hike. Most of the other students were experienced hikers and were able to hike up the mountain easily. For the first hour of the hike, the hiking trail was flat. Then the elevation started to increase. Many of the other students I was with hiked up the mountain very fast. There were about 3 other students that had a challenging time hiking up the mountain like me. Those 3 students and I decided to hike up the mountain together and help each other. At about 12:30 pm, 2 1/2 hours into the hike, I wanted to give up. I was exhausted and very sweaty. The other 3 students I was hiking with encouraged me to keep going and gave me a pep talk. I am glad I listened to them and continued up the mountain. After a 3 1/2-hour hike I finally reached the top. The view from the top of the mountain was incredible and breathtaking. From the top I could see valleys, lakes, and other Adirondack mountains. At this moment I was glad I did not give up. I made some of the greatest friends from this trip. The hike was extremely tough and difficult, but it was one of the best experiences I have ever been through.


Vocabulary

1. Hike (verb) - to walk a long distance

2. Mountain (noun) - a large, steep increase in the height of land

3. Nervous
(verb)- to feel nervous or worry

4. Geology (noun)- to study Earth's features like rocks and weather

5. Trail
(noun)- a path to walk a long distance on

6. Elevation
(noun) - a high point

7. Exhausted
(adjective) - tired, lacking energy

8. Pep Talk
(noun) - to talk to someone to make them feel good

9. Valleys (noun) - a low area between mountains or hills

10. Lakes (noun) - a body of water surrounded by land

11. Adirondack Mountains (proper noun) - an area in Upstate New York with multiple high points



Vocabulary Exercise  



Grammar Point

A noun names a person, place or thing.  For example, in this blog lake is a noun. A proper noun is a specific  noun that names a specific person, place or thing. For example, in this blog Adirondack Mountains is a proper noun

Grammar Exercise

Write about a tough moment in your like using nouns and proper nouns. You must write at least a paragraph. It must include at least three nouns and one proper noun.













Comments

  1. I also love to hike but would also have felt challenged by the mountain. I think it was great that you stuck with it. The view is fabulous.

    I really like all the components to your entry, especially the writing assignment about a tough moment. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you shared a personal experience with you students! It helps to create a more personal relationship between you and your students! I love how you even gave them a chance to write about their own tough moment. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts